I want to talk today about re-writing the scripts we play in our heads. The things we tell ourselves over and over again. We say these things, often without realizing it, until they become indistinguishable from reality for us.
Last week in episode 18 we had a wonderful conversation with Rachel Medefin, a mom of 5 and neuroscience student who discussed how so many of the internal conversations we have and impulses we succumb to can have lasting real physical and emotional impacts.
I’ll give you a few examples:
- I’m just not an athletic person, when we’re trying to find motivation to move our bodies.
- I’m a bad mom, when our kids make a mistake or are having trouble.
- I’m so clumsy, when you drop something.
- I’m just not very good at this, when something we’re trying to learn doesn’t come to us right away.
- I’m fat, I’m ugly, I’m stupid…
- I don’t deserve this opportunity… I’m an imposter